At Inn at Laurel Point and AURA waterfront restaurant, our guests sometimes ask what it means to serve sustainable seafood. More than just talking about environmental responsibility, we are adherents to the Ocean Wise® program and proudly display the program logo on our menu.
Ocean Wise is a Vancouver Aquarium conservation program, created to help restaurants and their customers make environmentally friendly seafood choices.Their slogan “Enjoy seafood dishes that are not only good to eat, but good for the oceans as well” pretty much sums it up. No over harvested fish or seafood, no harmful fishing practices, no harm to the environment.
For our annual Sips ’n Seafood Festival, Inn at Laurel Point will partner once again with Finest at Sea (FAS) Seafood who regularly supplies our chefs with the freshest Ocean Wise product available. Owner Bob Fraumeni bought his first boat in 1977, and grew his business to 13 vessels and focused on 100% wild sablefish, halibut, salmon, tuna, BC spot prawns, lingcod and longline rockfish. Recognizing the need for quality local food, Bob established boutique-style fish markets in Victoria and Vancouver to build upon his restaurant supply.
Remarkably, Bob established a documented food supply chain of origin for all seafood that is sold in his stores or to his restaurant customers. Sellers know which fishing vessel caught the product, where, and at what time.
At this year’s Sips ’n Seafood, Chef Brad Horen has big plans. Here’s the menu:
- Freshly shucked oysters on the half shell with Pat’s red hot sauce, blackberry mignonette, lemons, limes, grapefruit and freshly grated horseradish.
- Moules and frites with garlic aioli, hand-cut fries, paired with Phillips Phoenix lager.
- Boiled Dungeness crab with chili garlic butter, fresh shucked corn, coleslaw, warm corn bread.
- Hand-peeled baby shrimp, sweet pea and braised double-smoked bacon risotto.
- Surf and Turf: red wine braised short rib with grilled scallops, fresh herb butter, truffle baby potato salad.
- Smoked fish station with rye bread and assorted condiments.
- Flambé seasonal Saanich berries in a sugar cone, Babe’s blueberry honey and vanilla ice cream.
- Pairings from Victoria Gin, Phillips Brewing, and Quail’s Gate and Sandhill wineries.
At each food action station, a Laurel Point chef and a Finest at Sea fisherman will prepare, serve and explain what you are eating. Oh I can hardly wait!
Want to go for free? Watch this space and our Twitterstream over the next while for contest details. You’ll have to think differently!