The streets of Victoria’s Inner Harbour will smell a bit sweeter next month as we gear up for our second-annual gingerbread house fundraising event. If you think you have what it takes, you still have two weeks to sign up for the challenge – and the chance to win the title of Baking Grandmaster.
In true Victoria-style, last year we received a number of out-of-the-box submissions. From turtles to boots to ferries, you all showed a great deal of creative license.
One of my favourites was an entry by Heron Rock Bistro. After many hours of blood, sweat and tears (and icing, baking and jelly-beaning), the creators of this masterpiece made the unfortunate mistake of leaving it in the presence of their feline. Thinking it was a grand place for a nap, the curmudgeonly cat (aka Scrooge) curled up on the roof and, well, the rest is history.
We still displayed the house – complete with a photo of the kitty gingerly licking icing off its paws the night of the event.
Here’s some more of our faves:
Rules and guidelines:
- There is no fee for entering the competition. Sign up forms are due Oct. 31, 2010 and the gingerbread move-in date is set for Nov. 18 and 19, 2010.
- Three categories to enter, professional chef, corporate or amateur, with four categories to win, professional chef, corporate, amateur and people’s choice.
- All creations must be entirely made of edible ingredients.
- Houses must fit on a two foot by two foot plinth.
- Entries will be on display throughout the hotel from Nov. 26, 2010 to Jan. 2, 2011, daily between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Voting ballots and donation boxes will be found at the front desk.
- Members of the public are invited to vote for their favourite submissions until Jan. 2, 2011 by making a donation to Habitat for Humanity Canada.
- For those interested in submitting their gingerbread masterpiece, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-414-6708.
Bake Different !